Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gear Review- GSMNP trip- Ridge Rest and REI Kilo Flash

After getting cold on the Hobb's cabin hike I decided to make a few additions to my gear before the Smokies backpack 2 weeks later. I love my Montbell Super Stretch Down bag but it is only rated to 30 degrees. I just can't afford to buy the SS 10 degree bag. So I thought I'd try a technique I learned from a hiking friend Craig. He uses two bags in the winter in his hammock. So I thought I'd try the same technique. I would still use the 30 degree Montbell as my main sleeping bag since I love the stretchy fabric and I'd add another light weight bag over it like a quilt.

Since I didn't have much time and I really wanted to keep the cost down I decided on a REI women's Kilo Flash. It's rated to 35 degrees and weighs only 20 oz. which makes my total weight 43 oz. or 2 lbs 10 ozs for both bags. I am hoping to get well into the twenties with both bags. I do sleep very cold which is vexing since I hike very hot! On this trip the technique worked perfectly. I don't think it got much below the mid-thirties and I was quite warm in the two bags. I slept in long john top and bottom and a light fleece. The fleece came off in the night as did my socks. The second bag mostly stayed in place...I can see how this would work better in a hammock...it slipped a little but as it was warmer than I expected it wasn't a big deal. The REI bag was on clearance for $114 from $180...now it's down to $70 on the http://www.rei.com/ site. This is a good, warm, light bag and for that price I'd grab one while they are available!

I also took a Therm-a-rest Ridge Rest closed cell pad that I picked up at a yard sale for $4. It retails for $25 and weighs on my scales 12.4 oz. I thought it would be a good addition to my Big Agnes Air Core 15 degree pad. It was too warm to tell a difference though. It's light and I will probably take it once it gets colder out. Right now it is doubling as a yoga mat so at least I'm using it!

1 comment:

Don Deakins said...

I enjoy reading about what you have learned about ultralight backpacking. Keep it up. A link to this blog on your TTA blog would be handy.