Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No backpacking....bah!

Nope, no backpacks as of late. I really want to get back out there though. Oh well, in the mean time I'm doing a little gear stalking....I have a few purchases I'm trying to talk myself into.

I think I'll do a few posts on some of the gear I'd like to have and maybe post some gear reviews if I can get my hands on any.

1. Montbell SUL Down Jacket weighs an obscene 5 oz. but only has about an ounce and a half of down. Not sure if it's enough to keep you warm in winter but it seems like it would be a great shoulder season pick. Still waiting on some gear reviews before spending the bucks!

2. ThermaRest is coming out with a sleeping pad to rival the Big Agnes. It's a 3" thick pad but only has an R value that will take it to freezing and my BA will go down to 15 degrees. It's a few ounces lighter but I'm not sure if a few ounces is worth $125+ it will be available in May 09.

3. Golite Ultra down quilt rated to 20 degrees and weighs 19 ounces. I'm coveting this one...I must admit. At $180 it's not bad for that temp rating IF you like quilts vs. sleeping bags.

4. I'm still wishy washy on my alcohol stove. I'm looking at a small canister stove like the pocket rocket or similar weight.

5. I gotta find some decent rain gear...I can't believe I've put this off for so long! I just can't seem to make a decision...almost too many choices out there.

Well those are the top needs/wants....well see what actually gets bought.

No comments: