Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tarptent Rainbow and Granite Gear Vapor Ki

Just got my new pack and tent in over the weekend.

The pack is a 2 lb. 2 oz. Granite Gear Vapor Ki which I purchased online from Prolite Gear for $104 including 3 day shipping, it carries up to 30lbs. and holds 3,500 cu. in.. It is lidless (not sure how I'll like this) but does have good suspension and is hydration bladder compatible. I'm saving right at 1 lb. over my Deuter Futura pack and gaining 1,000 cu. in. of space.
The tent is a Henry Shires Rainbow, 1-2 person, 3+ season, 2 lb. 1.7 oz. (on my scale), free standing optional, $225 from tarptent.com. It did not come with instructions. WTF? It has a ton of tabs and strings and zippers and flaps and the fabric is actually slippery; I just can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I've been using the simple Walmart tent for too long. Any how it is almost 2 lbs. lighter than my old tent so HOORAH!

With those two purchases I dropped three pounds off my base weight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Instructions are downloadable on his website to save paper. Correct me if I'm wrong...

cheers

Millette Jones said...

You are right! They are buried in the FAQ link which is the first place I ever look for instructions!!!

Just kidding...but they could be a bit more obvious.